What is Early Start?
The CSU System recently enacted a policy known as “Early Start” that requires incoming students who do not demonstrate readiness for college-level math and/or English to begin remediation during the summer before coming to any CSU. The goals of Early Start are to better prepare students in math and English before their first semester of college, which will improve their odds of completing a college degree.
Here are some of the basics of Early Start:
- Early Start is required for incoming students who have not fulfilled the Entry Level Math (ELM) and or English Placement Test (EPT) proficiency requirements.
- The program takes place the summer before the freshmen year.
- Upon admission, CSU campuses will inform students who are not exempt, how and where to sign up for Early Start.
- All admitted, confirmed students will be allowed to make a Smart Page selection in their Student Service Center; by making a selection you are letting us know where you plan on completing your mandatory Early Start requirement.
- Early Start math and English courses will be available at every CSU campus.
- Financial aid will be available for those who qualify and demonstrate need.